Residential Permits

Single Family Dwellings and Building Permits

Single Family Dwellings

The applications below are used for single family dwellings. Applicants are required to apply in person or by mail to satisfy the need for the original signatures, license verification, and payment. We cannot accept faxed or emailed applications and presently cannot take online or over the phone payments. Have all applications that pertain to you filled out prior to submittal. Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applications are accepted daily from 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Please call (804) 966-9680 with any questions.

Single Family Dwelling (PDF) (Stick, Panelized, Modular)
Manufactured Home (Single,Double and Triplewide) (PDF)
Manufactured Home Supplement (PDF)

An accessory structure is any structure on your property other than a single family dwelling. This includes decks, garages, sheds, pools, docks, bulkheads, interior renovations, etc. Two sets of plans are required for all building submittals.  Use the application below for all accessory structures.

Note: All inground pool submittals must have an Environmental Land Disturbance Screening Form and a site plan. This is to determine if a Land Disturbance permit will be required.

Screening for Land Disturbance (PDF)

Building Permits

Building Permit (PDF)

Our below Deck Detail is only a guide and will provide information for building a deck.

Deck Detail (PDF)

Please see below for other applications, sub applications, permit amendments, and inspection information.

Sub Applications

Use the below applications for all trade submittals.

Sub Permit Fees (PDF)
Electrical Permit (PDF)
Plumbing Permit (PDF)
Mechanical Permit (PDF)

A separate mechanical permit is required to be pulled by the contractor that is installing fireplace inserts.

Inspection Information

Please call (804) 966-8572 to schedule inspections. Leave your building permit number or the address and what type of inspection you would like to request. Below is inspection information for single family dwellings and accessory structures. There is a $55.00 missed inspection fee incurred for each inspection that is not called in. For inspections that have failed twice or that are called in and are not ready when the inspector arrives, there will be a $75.00 fee.  A second offense re-inspection fee is $125.00.

Burn Permits

Burn permits are required for any residential or commercial burning activities. This applies to residents burning brush and a commercial contractor involving land clearing (pit burning).  This application is available on line.  For any questions you may call directly to the Fire Marshal's Office at (804) 966-9618. The link below will take you directly to the online process.

Apply for a burn permit here:  New Kent Burn Permit Application.
Demolition Permit (PDF)

Other Applications and Forms

Additional applications for use:

Amendment to Existing Permit (PDF)
Change of Contractor (PDF)
Change Mechanics Lien Agent (PDF)
Change of Use (PDF)
Sign Disclosure Form (PDF)