Planning and Zoning Department
**IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING NEW COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS & BUILDING REHABILITATION**
Effective Monday, March 1, 2021, new restrictions have been put in place to ensure your safety while visiting the Planning & Zoning Department.
Until further notice, all visitors will check in at the Lower-Level Administration Building Rear Entrance. There you will take your temperature, complete a Covid-19 Screening Form and bring it to the Planning & Zoning Department. You will also find information about social distancing, face coverings and restricted areas of the building.
Reduced Planning & Zoning Department permit and application hours will be from 8:00 AM to 3:45 PM to allow ample time to make any payments to the Treasurer by 4:15 PM. The Treasurer is now temporarily located at 7941 New Chipping Lane behind Colonial Market Restaurant.
As a reminder, only completed original applications and permits are accepted with the required fee payment at the time of submittal.
Planning & Zoning Staff will still be able to assist you with non-payment related matters by appointment only between 3:45 PM and 4:30 PM.
We highly recommend the continued use of electronic communications when possible and encourage pre-arranged appointments with our department.
Your safety during the COVID-19 Pandemic is our top priority. We also appreciate your continued support and patience during our building rehabilitation.
The Planning Department is responsible for developing and recommending growth management strategies, encouraging aesthetically pleasing development, and ensuring our community grows through positive land use development practices. Specifically, the division is responsible for:
- Assisting in the preparation of the county’s Capital Improvement Program. Section 15.2-2239 of the Code of Virginia requires localities to have capital improvement programs and stipulates that they must include the planning commission’s review and recommendations
- Developing, reviewing, and updating the county’s comprehensive plan and development ordinances. Section 15.2-2223 of the Code of Virginia requires all localities to have a comprehensive plan and set requirements for review and update
- Processing and reviewing rezoning applications, conditional use permits, variances, appeals, administrative modifications, zoning complaints, site plans, and subdivisions. Section 15.2-2240 of the Code of Virginia requires that all localities have subdivision ordinances. Section 10.1-2109 of the Code of Virginia requires all localities in Tidewater Virginia to have zoning ordinances
- Providing accurate and timely demographic and economic data and projections to staff, agencies, boards, commissions, and the general public
- Providing staff support to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, including reviewing and providing recommendations on all land use matters presented to the commission and the board