The court houses New Kent's land records, issues marriage licenses, grant divorces, handles will probates and estate qualifications, and hears appeals from the General District Court.
General District Court
The district court has three divisions:
All cases are heard by a judge, no juries are used. Preliminary hearings in felony cases are held in the court. If charged with a traffic violation or criminal misdemeanor, you need to contact the court office and/or appear in this court. The court hears civil suits for claims of $15,000 or less. Appeals from decisions made in the court are heard by the New Kent Circuit Court.
Juvenile & Domestic Relations
Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court handles cases involving:
- Abandonment of children
- Abuse and neglect
- Adults involved in the disputes concerning child custody, visitation, support, and parentage
- Court consent for certain medical treatments
- Court ordered rehabilitation services
- Foster care and entrustment agreements
- Juveniles accused of traffic violations
For more information, forms, listings of other courts, judges, new court decisions from the Virginia Court of Appeals, and general information concerning the Supreme Court of Virginia, visit the Virginia Judicial System website.