DOES VIRGINIA HAVE EARLY VOTING?
- Once you register to vote you are only required to re-register if you have a change (ex. name or address prior to any election before the deadline date). Before visiting your local registrar’s office, you may check your registration status online at the Virginia Department of Elections website or call our office at (804) 966-9699.
- If you are not already registered, you will have to wait five days after registration before you can be issued an absentee ballot (exception for military and overseas voters only). If you have a Virginia DMV license or ID card, you can register online at the Virginia Department of Elections website.
- Within 45 days prior to the election in which you wish to vote, visit your local registrar’s office to vote absentee in-person.
- At the registrar’s office, fill out an Absentee Application (PDF). You must show an acceptable form of ID. To view a complete list of acceptable IDs, please visit the In-Person Voting page on the Virginia Department of Elections website.
- After completing the application, you will be allowed to vote absentee in-person on a mark sense optical scan ballot which will be provided to you by our office. Accessible equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.
- Request an Absentee Application (PDF) from your local registrar.
- Return the completed form to your local registrar’s office.
- After the registrar processes your application, you will receive your ballot in the mail.
- Carefully review the instructions to complete and return your ballot to your local registrar by 7:00 pm on Election Day.